Update Regarding 2020 Reunion and COVID-19
The reunion committee has decided to have the family reunion virtually this year. The COVID-19 virus has made it too dangerous to travel and to be in groups without the possibility of being exposed to the virus. We love everybody in this family and it is too great a risk to endanger anyone. I will cancel the main hotel reservation today with Embassy Suites Airport in Nashville. We are in the process of vetting a web conference tool that will allow hundreds of people to collaborate in real time online. This is an opportunity for more family members than ever to meet and greet one another and establish new bonds without leaving the comfort of your private space. You will be able to join by smartphone or computer. Envision this situation as a way to adapt, persist, overcome, and THRIVE! Imagine what our forefathers and mothers endured. We are living proof they adapted, persisted, overcame and ultimately THRIVED. Let's honor them, let's keep moving forward, up and over obstacles, around the mountain, through the valley, and crossing the river to the other side! Are you with me! Let's go!
Now this is what I need from you.......
- Ideas about agenda topics during the online reunion example: Discuss and share Family tree information as far back as possible and connecting the present family members.
- Help elderly and all family members that may not be comfortable with this type of technology. We want all to participate. The tool will have live video and audio capability with a designated moderator. We are going to provide links so any and all can join that desire too.
- Get the word out everyone tell and invite someone
- If you have paid your dues we will refund them or we will hold them for next year your choice contact the family treasurer and she will assist you.
- We are freezing the normal reunion dues until next year. What we are asking for is $25.00 per household this year. We are going to use these funds for scholarships, recognitions of achievement of family members, purchase of software for the web collaboration tool and seed money for next years reunion. We are going to stick with Nashville for next year.
- I will share more information on this platform as we progress in new territory for this years reunion are you excited? I am!!!!
WHEW family love to all!
Moses B. Whitlow, Jr. (Son of Gertrude Lorraine Colvert-Whitlow)
Hello Family! I would like to provide an update regarding the 2020 WHEW Family Reunion. The COVID-19 virus has negatively impacted the entire Globe. The reunion committee met this weekend to discuss the upcoming reunion and the topic of discussion was how to move forward during this uncertain time period. We are focusing on safety first for the entire family we do not want to place anyone in harms way at all or expose them unnecessarily to the virus via travel or lodging. We are hoping this Pandemic is under control before the reunion but we will have to make a decision way ahead of June whether to move forward as planned or change all together. We are discussing several options. Next priority is to keep the 40+ year streak of continuous WHEW Family Reunions unbroken. We want the next generation of 40 years to be able to say we have been gathering with family for 80 years. We will have a decision mid to late April regarding the WHEW reunion. All the hotels and transport options are allowing people to back out with out penalty due to the COVID-19 crisis. So please be patient we will continue to provide updates here. In some form or fashion with today's technology we will be together virtually if we can't be together physically. Please spread the word to family members to standby for updates.
WHEW Family Reunion President
Moses B. Whitlow, Jr. (Great Grandson of Wally Ellington)
43rd WHEW Reunion
June 25 - 28, 2020
Embassy Suites by Nashville Airport
10 Century Blvd.
Nashville, TN 37214
Double/King $169 per night
Included: Made to order Breakfast
More details will be available
in the future . . .
WE look forwad to seeing everyone
in Nashville, TN!
Moses Whitlow, President
Brian Slay, Vice President
Lysandra Whitlow, Secretary
Nadriane Stringer Parker, Treasurer
Cornelius Smith, Historian